What you do on the web is nobody’s business but your own.
Unless you purposely go into hiding, everything you do on the web is up for grabs. Ad blocking, cache clearing, private/anonymous browsing and other under-the-radar methods can only cover so much. But let’s save all that for another chapter.
For now, let’s just say your web comings and goings aren’t being used by shameless data gatherers testing the limits of the law while trying to make a buck, and cops won’t be coming anytime soon knocking on your door for some nefarious online activity that would put your mother to shame.
For now, let’s slip on rose colored glasses and just see what’s out there without a shadow of the dark side.
– Researching that obscure but eye opening factoid that may put your paper over the top for the class that could be just the thing to get a leg up on your future prospects
– Looking for a job out of the millions of job search sites listing billions of jobs that don’t seem to make a dent on unemployment
– Finding a diagnosis your doctor missed since you weren’t able to go into all the details of the symptoms during the visit that went by in a blink of an eye (even though waiting in the waiting room was way long)
– Catching the latest next-best-thing/drama on TV (programs from all over the world and you get to do subtitling on the fly in any language, even Esperanto) that can now be viewed on the web from sites that increasingly show ads though still not as many as on TV
– Listening to music you otherwise would never in a pre-www world listen to
– Hanging out with folks to chat, get tips, or play voyeur to the stupidest (self proclaimed) and coolest things people do all over the world who want the whole world to see them do it whether it be on YouTube, Facebook or other social nooks and crannies of the web
– So many other things: news, answers to all your questions, reviews on anything under the sun, you name it…
This is a work in progress. The links used in this chapter (a links-only list is below) may periodically change depending on the vagaries of the web.
obscure but eye opening factoid/”If you hold your eyelids open while sneezing, will your eyes pop out?” answered by Cecil Adams in The Straight Dope: Fighting Ignorance Since 1973
job search sites/get your dream job… or any job (country listings from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe)
diagnosis/”The Doctor Will See You-If You’re Quick” by Shannon Brownlee for The Daily Beast: Read This Skip That, Illustration by Jason Lee
next-best-thing/drama/Viki was born as a joint class project between Harvard and Stanford graduate students who wanted to remove barriers to popular entertainment, regardless of language or country of origin with a diverse core of contributers including entrepreneurs, technologists and pop-culture fans from China, Egypt, England, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Mongolia, Philippines, Singapore, Spain, Taiwan, Thailand, Ukraine, Venezuela, Vietnam and the United States
music/King Kapisi – Screems From Tha Old Plantation: of Samoan origin, King Kapisi is the first Hip Hop artist in New Zealand to receive the prestigious Silver Scroll Award at the APRA Awards for Songwriter of the Year for his single Reverse Resistance in 1999, which followed on the popular release of his debut single Sub-Cranium Feeling
Hanging out/Limbless Association provides information and support to the limb-loss community
to chat/Batman Arkham Asylum Eidos Forum
get tips/The Daily Headache: a candid look at managing and living with headaches & migraines, helmed by Kerrie Smyres
stupidest/Episode 9: The Ped-Mouse from Stupid Inventions, the channel where practicality has absolutely no bearing on what they create
whatever the heck they call art/You Call That Art?!-Promo: hosted by Professor John T. Young
00 – introduction
01 – pick your ePoison
02 – plug in or be obsolete
03 – eJunk in the trunk
04.1 – once upon a time in YouTube/episode 1: IN THE BEGINNING
04.2 – once upon a time in YouTube/episode 2: STRANGE MISSILES
04.3 – once upon a time in YouTube/episode 3: HUNGER
04.4a – once upon a time in YouTube/episode 4a: ANOTHER DIMENSION
04.4b – once upon a time in YouTube/episode 4b: SPOTTED!
04.5a – once upon a time in YouTube/episode 5a: CLOSE ENCOUNTERS
04.5b – once upon a time in YouTube/episode 5b: SEE WHAT I SEE?
04.6a – once upon a time in YouTube/episode 6a: DARKNESS
04.6b – once upon a time in YouTube/episode 6b: LIFE AND DEATH
04.7a – once upon a time in YouTube/episode 7a: LIFE IS SUFFERING
04.7b – once upon a time in YouTube/episode 7b: FREE WILL
04.8 – once upon a time in YouTube/episode 8: LAY IT ALL OUT/FINALE
05 – kDrama: Arang and the Magistrate/Reply 1997/The Great Doctor
06 – jDorama: Iki mo Dekinai Natsu
07 – the evil that lurks behind the web curtain
08 – back to the future: The King of Dramas 드라마의 제왕
09 – of turkey and vampires: Let the Right One In vs Twilight